Lucky enough to live about 200 yards away from the Boise river, Kirk and I decided to ride our bikes down to find a nice fishing spot. Kirk cast the line while I read and laid in the sunshine (wearing lots of layers). Almost immediately, Kirk caught a big brown trout!! We were stoked and knew it would make a delicious dinner that night.
After fishing we took the dogs up to the foothills above 8th Street at Hulls Gulch area, and let them run their guts out on the off leash trails. If you have dogs, you know Boise is full of great dog parks where they can run off leash, but my favorite thing to do is take them to the foothills. There are so many interlinking trails you can really customize your hike to be short, long or in between. And depending on how much you want to get your heart pumping, you can choose steeper or mellower inclines.
What a perfect sunny Sunday, and so luxurious to have it in February!!
My recipe for quick delicious trout is below.
Simple Fresh trout with lemon
1. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with half olive oil and butter.
2. Season generously the inside and outside of your trout with Salt and Pepper.
3. Thinly slice a lemon and fill the inside of your fish with the lemon slices.
4. When your skillet is hot and the butter is turning golden brown, add the trout with lemon and cook 4-6 minutes on each side until done. Place extra lemon slices in the oil/butter mixture next to the fish in the pan, if they start to get too brown, move them to the top of the fish.
5. Serve with lemon slices on the side.